Friday, April 24, 2009

I Caved!

Okay anyone who knows me well knows that I'm not a big fan of total commercialization. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney. Their cartoons, movies, and the 'happy place' are great, but you wouldn't see me buying Ariel bedding or Handy Manny birthday stuff. Or so I thought. I used to cringe at all of the princess stuff too until 'it' happened. The look of sheer joy on my daughter's face in regard to everything princess. So, when we stopped off at Party City (a treat after a doctor's appointment) for what I thought would be a quick stop to pick up these funny pink fairy plates for her school party, I stood in awe. It went something like this: 

Me: hey Cam we're going to get plates with a pink fairy on them for your school birthday. Cam: Yea! A party for me. 
Me: Yes, but it won't be for a while. Like a month! 
Cam: And I will have a CAKE. 
Me: Yes, but not today and we are only getting your plates. I veer away from the girly princess aisle (you know the one) and head straight for the pink fairy. We have no idea who it is, but I think it's a Sesame Street thing. So here we go... 
Me: Here Cam, how is this for your school party? 
Cam: (With a look of total disgust) Not good. (Totally calm and not interested she looks up at me.) 
Cam: Where's Tinkerbell fairy? 

 So here it is I caved, big time. This non-specific fairy party is now a Tinkerbell party and yes, Captain Hook accents for the boys.  The things we do for our kids. 



More to come on what this mess is turned into. 



 
And since I still have a say in what she wears to ballet: a rainbow tutu and baby legs.
I told her to pose with her new glasses. She really is a star. I think next year she is confined to black leotard and pink tights. But until then, this is what I do...
Okay. B is reading the Bible so he'll either be asleep soon or crying, I should check on him. Happy weekend.

No comments: